Re: [NTLK] [OT] Mobile e-mail access in Russia

From: Ao Loo (ao_at_total.net)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 07:50:09 PDT

Listed below is a worthwhile website for anyone with a GSM phone to
check out if your carrier has an agreement with the carriers in the
country you are travelling to. It also tells you which countries have
GPRS and which ones don't. Also, if you know in advance where you will
be spending most of your time, you can check out coverage maps. Saved
me from buying a GPRS handset in April when I found out that Rwanda had
no service yet. If you want to buy a local SIM card for your phone,
make sure your handset is "unlocked". Phones are often locked to your
carrier so that popping in another SIM brings up an "invalid" message.
This is done to prevent you from using your phone with other carriers.
I had my nokia 8890 unlocked locally before travelling overseas. There
are various websites that deal with unlocking phones. Some need only a
code and the instructions to follow a specific routine. Some handsets
need a hardware cable and access software. This comes in handy when
your carrier does not have an agreement with the country you are
travelling to. I worked on a film in the Congo, and my carrier had no
agreement in place. I went to newspaper kiosk and bought a SIM and 10
minutes of phone time for $10US. I added additional time with scratch
cards and gave the number to my wife so that she could call me. Turned
out to be the cheapest calling option as far as keeping in touch. Do
check out rates with your carrier! Called from Tanzania once for 5
minutes at $11.CDN a minute.

> http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml

Ao