Re: [NTLK] Syncing with Palm Desktop!

From: Bill Miranda (billmiranda_at_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 19:42:18 PDT

On Aug 12, 2004, at 4:25 PM, Alex Santos 100MB Neostrada Mail wrote:
> Personally I think it's viola, but aside from that, what exactly did
> you accomplish?

It may be no big deal but I spent a good chunk of yesterday trying to
get NCU to install and then trying to get NCU to synchronize with Palm
Desktop. With respect to installing NCU, I could not get it to load at
all. It turns out I was trying to install the wrong connection utility.
  Even though it is talked about over and over again on Newtontalk and
in the Wiki and other places, my mind kept thinking that NCK2 was more
recent than NCU1. Once I tried to install NCU1, all was good on that
front. I then found Palm Desktop 2.6 and installed that on my
Powerbook in Classic mode under X 10.3 (Panther). I then tried to
synchronize my MP 130 using the Keyspan serial cable. It would take a
long time saying it was backing up the various apps but reach a certain
point and shut down. An error message dialogue popped up saying that
NCU was unable to complete the process because it couldn't access the
Organizer 2.0 file. I tried various things. The thing that finally
worked was using "Get Info" in OSX on the Organizer 2.0 file in the
Intellilink folder under the Newton Connection folder. I set all the
ownership rights and permissions to read and write in all three places
(owner, admin, and anybody). When I rebooted for good measure and
tried again, the synchronization worked without error. It may be one
small step for man, but I was a happy camper, like I just sat down and
filled out the Sunday crossword in the NY Times in less time than it
takes to drink my first cup of coffee.

Bill Miranda
Richardson, TX
billmiranda_at_comcast.net