Re: [NTLK] Why Apple Killed The Newton

From: Brian Pearce (bpearce_at_cloud9.net)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 16:12:43 PDT

> Probably not, but at the time would schools have even considered
> multi-thousand-dollar PowerBooks for students? I think the possible
> fallacy of this argument is the idea that an eMate sale = a
> cannibalized PowerBook sale.

I agree; I can't imagine many schools would have considered it. But
Apple's plan was to replace the eMate with a low-priced
consumer-oriented portable computer -- a solid product for both the
education market *and* more attractive to the consumer market than the
eMate would ever be. It's paid greater dividends in the long term than
the Newton products probably ever would have.

(It's ironic that the original iBook never caught on in the education
market, despite being specifically-designed for it in so many ways.)

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net
<http://www.redjacketpress.com>
"Yesterday's Books for Today's Reader"