Re: [NTLK] Meetup.com [slightly OT]

From: George Bingham (georgeb1962_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 12:27:10 PDT

Rhonda, et. al.,

     I understand what you mean about meetup.com being 'misleading',
but I really think it's just their way of "jumpstarting" a new meetup.

     I'm from Kansas City, and although not huge, it's big enough to
have more than 3 Newton users living in this area, at least I would
think. But I only know of three KC area Newton users via this list. I
happen to have signed up to meetup.com, but also realize others may be
reluctant to do so. I have not noticed any spam email coming from
having signed up though. (I do think that I get the "once a month" or
so "international newton meetup day" announcement though.)

      Anyway, once you actually get a "meetup" group going, then the
"misleading" part would go away since presumably actual people in the
group would be suggesting places and dates.

     I figure you can't blame them for trying to make it easy to setup
an initial meetup in a given city.

My 2 cents,

George