[NTLK] Art of Newton

From: Dave Bellamy (dave_bellamy_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 01:25:39 PDT

Hi All

A little while ago I was browsing through the UNNA archive of Newton
Books and came across the 'Art of Newton'. This book talks about how
people have integrated their Newtons into the everyday lives. I was
fascinated to learn what other people have actually done with their
little green friends - from lawyers, doctors, students, academic and
even cops. I also found the book a really useful resource and it has
started me thinking how I can realise the potential of this handheld
computing marvel. Like a great many Newton related stuff though the
book was somewhat out of date - late 1990's and the link to the
original site long dead. This was a shame and I wondered if there have
been any other similar books created more recently. It would be really
interesting to see what the rest of you guys (all 2000+ of you)
actually use your Newtons for. Are they used everyday as an integral
part of your lives, do they live on a bench somewhere as a curiosity &
hobby machine or what? As a newbie I think that it is always useful to
learn what other people have been able to achieve and how they have
overcome the same problems you are probably encountering. I know that
WikiWiki has the 'cool set-ups' sections and that is great and there is
some stuff on the Newted forums, but a central source for all that
information and more would be even better. Perhaps an Art of Newton for
the New Millennium? Could some of the original contributors be tracked
down to see what they are using now and what happened to their Newtons,
and indeed are they still using them?

I know that this topic has probably already been discussed ad nauseam,
but any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Regards

Dave