Re: [NTLK] AW: (marginally OT) Another keyboard question

From: karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Sun Aug 01 2004 - 06:36:06 PDT

Isaac wrote:

>>On 28 Jul 2004, at 23:27, karel Jansens <kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>As I've written before, I am the (more or less) proud owner of a
>>>Fujitsu Stylistic 3400 tablet pc. Nobody need to fear that it will
>>>ever replace my Newtons (the thing will barely run for an
>>
>>hour on its
>>
>>>battery and runs hotter than hell),
>

> What??? One single short little hour??? That must be because of its fast
> processor and whatever else is fast too in the 3400. I got a LT-P600 which
> runs about 4h with a 3400mAh accu and the processor speed set to very low
> consumption.

The 3400 I have is the one with the straight Pentium III mmx 400 MHz
processor, the one laptop owners used to call the "egg cooker" (the
explanation for that nickname is quite straightforward, but requires a
rather -- er -- graphic imagination. Suffize to say that it gets hot.

If I try really hard, I can squeeze a little over 2 hours out of a
3500 mAh LiIon battery, but all the fun gets squeezed out as well.

> Regarding the topic I can not say anything about using the Newton kbd on a
> PEECEE, but my original Fujitsu-Stylistic infrared kbd is really very good.
> It is less than 10 mm thick and just as wide as the Tablet PEECEE is (much
> smaller than the 3400) but has about the button size as a Newton kbd.
> However, the Newton kbd is better for typing with its longer key way. The
> stylistic original kbd just fits unterneath the LT-P600 in the free space
> next to the accu.

As I wrote, I have an IBM USB keyboard, with trackpoint and 2 extra
ports. It's nice, it works and it sits comfortably on my desk. It is
also twice as big as the Newton keyboard, so I wondered if anyone had
ever gotten the Newton keyboard working on a peecee. There were, in
the olden days, quite a lot of serial keyboards for the then
port-deprived laptops and in my naiveté I assumed that it would not
have been that hard to adapt an existing driver for a Newton keyboard.

Did I also mention that I am cheap?

Karel Jansens