[NTLK] Comments about maximum memory size

From: Andrei Chichak (acpmiedm_at_telusplanet.net)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 08:49:26 PDT

Recently there were comments about the maximum amount of memory that would
be recognized by the 2100's support chipset. This reminds me of the 1994
World Wide Developers Conference.

<cue the harps Maestro>
<fog machines>
<soft focus>

The clear case 110s were being sold. You could see all of the guts,
everybody wanted to know who Lindy was, there in front of you was 4 RAM
chips making up a FULL 1MB but they put a bar code sticker across them.

One of the true characters of the conference (every conference has a
character) stands up and says that he went into the memory information
screen and he has 16MB of memory. We all whip out our new beasts and check,
damn 1MB!

Suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, comes the damage control DTS dudes.
Mike, Maurice, Gabriel, it was a veritable who's who of Newton geekdom.
They peer at the chips under the sticker..."Nope, nope, this only has 1MB,
it must have a fault. We'll give you a replacement". "No way man, this is a
collector's item, I'm keeping it." "No, really, it has a fault, let us give
you another one."

Now that I think about it, they were more surprised that someone had one
that reported 16MB and not that it was reporting 16MB.

<pull back camera to show very dark convention hall>
<cue the X-Files theme>

Andrei