Re: [NTLK] "Slapping your cells silly" {Battery treatment revisited}

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 09:58:08 PDT

>When I worked tech support, we would have this happen quite regularly. The
>drive would just not want to spin up. What I would do is pick up the box
>and give it a quick rotational jerk in plane of the platters of the disk.
>This would give the platters enough momentum that the stepper motor could
>then take over. Take a backup and replace the disk.

Yes the only other way would be to pull the platters out of the disk in a
clean room and put them in a new enclosure. But that is quite expensive.
Of course your method assumes that the bearings have not locked up tight. I
have seen HD's that once shut down the bearings locked up like a car without
oil. Can't do anything then. But agree it is something to try if
everything else has failed.

-Dan