Re: [NTLK] Test, fail, test, fail... - makes me dizzy! But sweet sucess at last (kinda)! (wasRe: Help! Serial connection PC to Newton suddenly dead...)

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 17:25:37 PDT

>Anyhow, first post-OP check no gain. Hmh... And if I twiddle the serial
>speed on the Newton? So lemme switch from Ser57600 to plain Serial and
>see... Immediate Success! I'll be... What gives!
>

>So, back to registry and looky 'ere, it's all set to 38400! Totally insane!
>What 'appened, eh?
>Quick change back, since we're already here - that 57600 *does* look much
>better!
>

>Can it be possible that maybe a registry setting that's been tweaked from
>the original 38400 to 57600 got lost between the last successful attempt
>and the first failure? Like some dark force thing?

Yes it can. If there is a problem with the regestry Windows will pull the
back up . However this is normally done at boot up, not while the system is
running. If there is a problem you will get an error and the system will
halt (if it is bad enough). Then upon reboot it will pull the backup.

. Unless there was some kind of crash that erased that modified setting.
Very unusual but quite possible. It could also be when you deleted the
serial port driver and when windows pulled the copy from the driver database
it reverted that setting to 38k the first time you started NBU after the
deletion.

Glad you got it working. And you are quite welcome. BTW-my next suggestion
was going to be trying a slower speed, but it seems you beat me to it. :)

-Dan