[NTLK] I Salvaged a Broken (Physically Damaged) Flash Memory Card

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 12:13:37 PDT

Hello Everyone:

I was loading music onto my Newton MP 2100 and lamenting the fact that I had
given my girlfriend my 20 meg flash card. Then, I remembered the broken 20
meg flash memory card that was given to me as a "freebie" when I purchased my
last Newton. I took another look at the memory card.

One of the corner edges (on the side that plugs into the Newton's PCMCIA
slots) was visibly cracked. In addition, the corner edge of the flash card's
sheet metal covering was pulled up slightly, which prevented the card from being
inserted all the way into the PCMCIA slots. I tried to get the card to work,
but it would only go into a slot about two-thirds of the way.

Further investigation proved the cracked corner edge did not carry with it
any vital electrical circuitry. I carefully pulled off the broken corner
plastic piece with surgical hemostats. With the plastic piece removed, I could then
bend the sheet metal piece back into place. I scraped off the preexisting
rubber cement from both top and bottom pieces of sheet metal. A few drops of
"Crazy Glue" were used to reattach the broken plastic corner piece (I figured it
was probably needed to activate the PCMCIA slots' latching mechanism). I
clamped it all down and held my breath...

Well, the card works just fine, and I effectively doubled the song storage
capacity of my Newt (keeping my 32 meg card reserved for storing apps and
books). It felt good to know that another piece of Newton "hardware" had
effectively been given a new lease on life! :O)

Matt K.