Re: [NTLK] Help! Serial connection PC to Newton suddenly dead...

From: kareljansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 03:27:21 PDT

Op woensdag 28 april 2004 11:09, schreef DJ Vollkasko:

> P.S.: While I have your esteemed attention and we're talking serial stuff
> and PCs -- pls. allow me to kindly also direct your attention to this NTLK
> posting http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/newtontalk.2004-04/1564.html, for
> which I (and the Wiki) are most expectantly looking forward to any
> constructive feedback.

Oops. I must have missed that one.

> >Well, mine do work (2 UMP2000) -- more or less reliably -- at 230400.
> > >But only with unixnpi.

> Karel, any chance this could be reproduced on a PC?

Easily, but you'd have to install a Linux distribution first. :)
I don't think there are serial drivers for Windows that go beyond 57600.

Everything about unixnpi can be found here:

http://www.ee.cityu.edu.hk/~clli/unixnpi.html

Don't forget that unixnpi is a package installer only. It does NOT do anything
else (FYI, I back up on a card).

> Which serial driver do you use on the Newton for this?

The package for the Newton is called "Ser57600.pkg", "Ser115200.pkg" or
"Ser230400.pkg", depending (obviously) on what speed you prefer (or what
speed your serial port can handle; I recommend starting with the highest
possible and only downgrading if necessary. Life's too short, eh?). Don't
forget to manually edit the .unixnpi.rc file (this is not Windows, you are
supposed to know how to type).

The packages themselves are part of the unixnpi archive file. Just install one
or all of them on the Newton.

Sidenote: I tried to get Windows NCU to connect to my Newton at 230400 and
115200, without success. This was on the same hardware that allows me to
install packages in Linux at 230400. I can only conclude that Windows (in
this case 98SE) is seriously hampered serially.

Karel Jansens