Re: [NTLK] playing a wav on the newton?

From: Steve Weyer (saweyer_at_comcast.net)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 02:37:21 PDT

> Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:21:36 -0700 (PDT)
> From: George Bingham <georgebingham_at_swbell.net>
> Subject: [NTLK] playing a wav on the newton?
>
> Hey all,
>
> I've got my Newton 2100 outfitted with Mail V, the
> audio stationary, also NewtsCape, as well as nhttplib
> (sp?) (the "fetch url" transport).
>
> I am having difficulty getting a .wav file off the
> net to play on the newt. Seems like I have all I
> should need. But basically what I would like to do is
> this: Given an email that contains a link to a .wav
> file, was hoping to be able to copy & paste it into
> either newtscape or the get URL transport, and have it
> download and be able to be played.
>
> If I paste it into NewtsCape, it complains that I
> have no audio/wav helper app, and via Fetch URL, I get
> the .wav into the I/O box, but don't have any way of
> playing it... it says "This uses stationary that is
> not installed and cannot be displayed. (audio/wav)".
> There are no options under the "tag" icon except
> "Log".
>
> What more do I need? Or is something not working
> right?

hi George,

since you're getting "no audio/wav helper app" for Newt's Cape, you'd
need the AudInBox plugin
http://home.comcast.net/~saweyer/newton/newtscape/audinbox.htm

(in order to transfer, or to recognize existing sounds in Inbox)

I had last tested this with SimpleMail 4.0 a few years ago -- so
hopefully Simon's inbox format hasn't changed...

Steve
weyer_at_kagi.com
http://www.kagi.com/weyer/