Re: [NTLK] [ANN] 1984 for Newton

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 11:15:40 PDT

* Tony Kan <tony.kan_at_clear.net.nz> [25 Apr 2004 16:21]:
> It was written in 1948 (I understand he chose 84 because it was just the
> last two digits transposed). Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a copyright
> supposed to only last 50 years? I think I remember reading this as one of
> the investment risks to purchasing Disney shares because the IP rights on
> characters such as Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck were now exposed.

For Berne Convention signatories, the copyright term is life of the
author + 50 years; in the US it's life + 70 years after the CTEA
(adopted just before the original Mickey Mouse shorts, like Steamboat
Willie, would have hit the public domain under Berne copyright terms).

I'm not sure about the specifics of copyright law outside of the US and
Canada, but Disney shares are pretty safe to purchase because they keep
lobbying for (and getting) retroactive copyright extensions in the US to
keep their antiquated IP under copyright. Despite the fact that a lot of
their material comes from the public domain, they seem to have a horror
of letting that very public domain grow any more... And besides, even if
the Steamboat Willie short hit the public domain, I'd be *very*
surprised if Disney didn't have the Mickey Mouse character trademarked -
and trademarks are in force for basically as long as their owner defends
them. People would be able to copy and distribute the old animated
shorts without fear of reprisal (well, I'm sure Disney would *try* to
restrict it, but it wouldn't be legal), but they still wouldn't be able
to use the character due to trademarks.

And re: the book's title, as I recall it was originally titled 1948, but
by the time he finished writing it it was too close to 1948 (either that
or it *was* 1948, I can't remember exactly) so he transposed the last
two digits to put it in the future where he intended it to be set.

This book probably shouldn't be put on UNNA because it's definitely
still copyrighted in a lot of countries, not least the ones where UNNA
mirrors are located...

-Rhonda

(Yes, I've been reading a lot about copyright lately... a review of
Lessig's _Free Culture_ will be appearing on my writing site soonish.
See sig for address.)

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   Discuss the art and craft of writing
   That's the problem with world domination. Nobody is willing to wait for