Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple, Macintosh, 3rd Parties, and Market Share

From: David Ensteness (denstene_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 10:00:36 PDT

On Apr 25, 2004, at 6:54 AM, Michael J. Hußmann wrote:

> You agree my statement about Apple inventing FireWire was correct, so
> what issue do you have with that? Our disagreement was about when
> FireWire was invented and marketed, and whether Sony was involved. I
> stand by my claim that Apple alone was the inventor of FireWire (in the
> mid-80s) and that it was marketed since 1995 at least (after all, that
> was my first sighting of a FireWire port).

I wasn't very clear. What I was trying to get across was you used the
"IEEE" naming of IEEE 802.11b to indicate that the IEEE group
"invented" 802.11b. They did not. You did not make this claim of
FireWire which is technically IEEE 1394. If your premise that anything
with the IEEE label on it was therefore created by them was true, then
that would mean that FireWire and Parallel and every other electrical
standard that has an IEEE label would also have been invented by IEEE.
That certainly is not the case. So in a nutshell, I was pointing out
that you used bad evidence to try and prove your point.

Also I never disagreed with you about the timeline for FireWire being
invented or marketed, I simply said that it was first used on a
consumer available computer in 1999 with the Blue and White G3. Sony
was involved in its development and Sony pushed the 4-pin version
[unpowered], while Apple pushed the 6-pin version [powered].

> Isn't it funny that while I vividly recall listening to Steve Jobs
> introducing AirPort at the Macworld Expo in 1999 (it was my first
> Keynote
> and actually my first visit to New York City, so I was quite excited),
> don't remember him saying anything about Apple inventing IEEE 802.11
> (b)?
> And it is not at all like him to keep quiet about something like that,
> don't you think?

Actually I never recall Jobs saying that Apple invented anything by
naming its IEEE number, for instance he never claimed that Apple
invented "IEEE 1394" but he did say Apple invented FireWire. My point
is, Jobs called 802.11b AirPort, and not by its certification name just
has he as done with other standards. Jobs always uses the name
consistent with Apple's marketing efforts.

David