[NTLK] Simple Battery Fix?

From: Sean Cross (newton_at_9bit.net)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 12:28:49 PDT

I'm posting to this list because I'm uncertain of how safe it is, or
whether it actually works.

I bought my Newton off eBay, and I *believe* the battery pack was dead.
  Since there was nothing else I could do with it, I decided to try a
trick I'd heard about a long time ago: I dropped the battery pack onto
a tile floor from about three feet up, several times.

The end result is that I now have a battery pack that works reasonably
well. The battery meter isn't very reliable, as it tends to creep
towards 30%, staying there for the majority of its life, before
suddenly dropping to 15%.

I actually experienced similar results with a powerbook 5300 battery
that didn't work.

Aside from the possibility of cracking the batteries, is this a bad
idea?