Re: [NTLK] MacInTalk-files: Two different sets of packages - why? What gives? Is it good?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 09:54:15 PDT

DJ Vollkasko wrote:
> Hello Text-to-Speech-savy Newtonians,
>
> what are the differences between these two sets of MacInTalk-packages:
>
> (a) macintal.pkg, TALKTOME.PKG, speaktex.pkg (unknown date)

The first one is the "guts" of Macintalk (the speech engine, and API)

The second one *I believe* is a different speech engine not by Apple. Don't
quote me on that.

The third one adds the "Speak Text" routing option to Notes. Without it the
first package is useless unless you write your own app to interface with it.

> (b) macintal.pkg, speakeas.pkg, speaktra.pkg (dating from Juli and
> September 1996)?

I don't know about the last two.

> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/MakeNewtonSpeakText to check

Looks good.

> E.G. I don't know if MacInTalk is NOS 2.1 or MP 2x00-only (i.e. no
> eMate), you might want to advise on that page about the compatibility.

Yes, it is OS 2.1 specific.