Re: [NTLK] DCL (was Newton Book or Newton Paperback, which is better)

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_telebyte.nl)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 03:32:19 PDT

On 22-apr-04, at 23:56, Nicolas Zinovieff wrote:

Great emails Paul and Nicolas, this what was needed! Because I respect
you guys immensely for what you're doing but never realized that you
could use help in these forms.

> - code.

But there you won't get any help from me ;)

> - documentation. If you can't code, but you can read code, you can spot
> documentation gaps, translate it (most of it is in French), enlighten
> the code by explaining how it works, etc...

Will download today and either translate all there is over the weekend
or beginning of next week.

> - application. You can fix our rough translations of the interfaces, of
> the help, of the documentation, etc... Or you can add your own.

Again, nothing from me.

> - testing. Thorough testing and bug reports are highly welcome.
Already mailed Paul that I want to test, didn't have any time so far
this week. Will start a.s.a.p.

> - ideas. YES! We would love hearing from you guys. But not stuff like
> "I'd like it to be like NCU"... Find the glitches. Draft new features.

Will get the brain-cells working, will probably come to me while testing

> - donate. You have a Newton that would be a good test base for our deep
> NIE meddling? Spare my only Newton!

A 2100 will come your way, please send your address of list.
(and specify if you want rechargeable pack or a battery holder)

Now I'm praying that this doesn't mean I'll loose my main Newt, since I
lost 2 on average a year until I bought this back-up model ;-)

> - nothing. You can do nothing? You don't know how to code?

No

> You only speak Sanskrit?

Sorry, again no ;-)

> You don't have any idea and you don't want or can't donate any time,
> hardware, software or money? just send a kind note to
> Paul, Michael, or myself.

I love you all, I really do!

Seriously, until now Escale didn't do much for me so apart from some
testing and bug reporting at the start I was mostly waiting fro an
announcement from you guys about the state of the project, which is
also why I mailed with Paul after the '[ANN] Towards DCL 1.1' post.
For the people that have reacted so far commenting that they only have
Windows, Nicolas listed quite a few options, donation being one of them
and open for people of all platforms of course...

BTW, I found in the past your bug database quite hard to understand,
would it be possible to 'just' send the bugs to you and paul by email?

Robert Benschop