Re: [NTLK] Newton Book or Newton Paperback, which is better

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 00:25:47 PDT

>On Apr 19, 2004, at 1:44 PM, Eric Lease Morgan wrote:
>
>> From a user's point of view, which has a better interface for reading
>> texts on a Newton? Newton Book or Newton Paperback?...
>
>Thank you for your replies. They have bared out my initial assumptions.
>
>Newton Books are prettier and complete with more functionality, for the
>most part. On the other hand, there is nothing functionally wrong with
>Newton Paperbacks and users have the option of changing the fonts.

Just in case I didn't get that across: Any ebook I can read on my Newton is
a good ebook.
So I'm all with you, regardless of my personal preferences when making books.

>So, Plan A is to go ahead and automate the process of creating Newton
>Paperbacks until I learn more about the creation of Newton Books. This
>is especially a good option since the documents contain no images and
>require only the most rudimentary of typography.

Plan B might be to accept contributions from us (e.g. Press/Bookmaker
created books + original PG/other source etexts) and maybe branch the
catalog into more categories, plus pull PG's "Recent Books" over on a
regular basis. You interested?

Well, I'd be *much* interested, anyhow, to find all new and newly edited PG
titles w/o graphics readily downloadable for my Newton... Would be very
impressive! And why not share a common public domain library with other PDA
reader audiences?

Plan C would be to see if the brilliant DCL-Gang(tm) don't come up with a
superior Paperback-like tool that allows for bookmarking, ;=} which would
silence one of the greatest arguments against that platform. See Paul's
   "Since the release of PBBookMaker, I got the authorization from David
Fedor to include his code in books that will be generated by PBBookMaker. I
may release a new version with more features than what currently is
avaiable in PaperBack, but I cannot estimate yet what fellow DCL developers
want most and hence what I should work on."
-- Needless to say actually that the bookish Newtonians would probably be
very eager about having this done + integrated with the Alex Catalogue,
esp. the Catalogue would pull the new stuff from PG...

What do you think, Eric (and others)?
And BTW - how do you like your Newton, now you have one at long last?

Cheers,

DJV.

P.S.: Cheers DCL-Gang - as per "but I cannot estimate yet what fellow DCL
developers want most and hence what I should work on", how about running
polls with the audience regarding OS, apps, features?
   Maybe pile all options possible for the next month, and let Newtonians
suggest what implementations be most appreciated next. This could work
miracles for user-acceptance and help you deciding what to tackle in which
order, maybe even lures some volunteers in. Worked great for Mr. PCBMan
last week, got much stuff sorted out + clarified. I loved his approach and
Victor's poll to visualize and streamline the feedback.

The Original DJ Vollkasko's(TM) Newton eBook Editions

*** Get it here or from a www.UNNA.org near you! ***

Adorno, Theodor W. - On Popular Music (1941)

Debord, Guy - Introduction to a Critique of Urban Geography (1955),
English/German

Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - Adventures of Etienne (1903) (Etienne Gerard)
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - Exploits of Brigadier Gerard (Etienne Gerard)
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - The Final Problem (S. Holmes feat. Moriarty)
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - The Valley of Fear (S. Holmes, Moriarty mentioned)
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - When the World Screamed (1929) (feat.
Prof.Challenger)

Dunsany, Lord - 51 Tales (1915)
Dunsany, Lord - Book of Wonders
Dunsany, Lord - The Emperor's Crystal

Haggard, Henry Rider (1856-1925) - A Tale of Three Lions

Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - Rogues in the House (Conan the Cimmerian
goes Newton!)
Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - Shadows in Zamboula (1935, Conan again)
Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - The Devil in Iron (1934, Conan yet again)
Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - The Tower of Elephant (...and still more
Conan!)

Knigge, Adolph Freiherr von - Über den Umgang mit Menschen (1788)

Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - Herbert West, Reanimator (1921-1922)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - Pickman's Model (1926)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - The Call of Cthulhu (1926)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - The Cats of Ulthar (1920)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - The Picture in the House (1919)

New! Vague, Tom _ Boy Scout's Guide to the Situationist International: The
Effect The S.I. Had On Paris '68 And All That, Through The Angry Brigade
And King Mob To The Sex Pistols

Whibley, Charles - A Book of Scoundrels

Wilde, Oscar - The Picture of Dorian Gray

*** "Don't ask what your Newton can do for you -
ask what you can do for your Newton!" - J.F. Newtennedy ***