Re: [NTLK] Purchases in Germany

From: Mark Ross (markr13_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Apr 21 2004 - 18:01:44 PDT

The reason that US sellers will refuse to ship outside the US is that
VISA/MC do not do address verification outside the US (not even in
Canada, I think). Therefore, one of the big protections against CC
fraud is lost. On high ticket items, you can get badly burned as a
merchant with hackers from the far East using stolen card numbers.
We have to be extra vigilant to catch these thieves. Every order is
scanned for "flags" that tip us off to potential fraud and I've learned
to catch almost all of it. The latest scam around Christmas time was to
use a US accomplice who knew of an address that would be vacant for the
holidays. All orders were shipped next day air to this address with the
accomplice waiting outside collecting the packages at 10:30AM and
reshipping them to the foreign address that the shipper would normally
refuse to. We caught on to this by trying to call phone numbers of
suspicious orders. They would always be made up.

--
Mark Ross
markr13_at_comcast.net