Re: [NTLK] Water and newtons

From: Humphreys, David (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 10:54:44 PDT

Hey Joel,

DON'T PANIC!

Here is what I would do:

1. Take the batteries out.

2. Take it apart.

3. Fill a dish with isopropyl alcohol. (~60c at your local pharmacy)

4. Wash all the bits in the alcohol.

5. Dry each bit with a hair dryer.

6. Put it back together.

The alcohol, being hygroscopic, will grab any water underneath the
components. The hair dryer will speed up the evaporation and any trace
elements that were in the water will, by and large, be in the dish.

One place to be careful of is the display. The alcohol will not damage
anything but immersing this part will trap the alcohol in places where it
will prove difficult to remove. If it doesn't need it, don't dip this part.
Otherwise, you will have to dismantle the display far more than you might be
comfortable with.

Once all the liquid has evaporated the Newton should be ready to use again.

Really, spilling water on the Newton is not that big of a deal. A pain, yes,
but not as devastating as molasses or maple syrup etc. etc.

If you saw how commercial PCB assemblies are cleaned prior to installation
you wouldn't worry about a bit of water.

Regards,

PCBman