Re: [NTLK] Quote of the day

From: NewtonMP - Paul Curtis (paul.curtis_at_newtonmp.com)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 15:06:50 PDT

The DEC Alpha, now has been parsed out to a few different companies now.
HP/Compaq has the majority of the patents, but AMD has the primary and
secondary cache patents.

It essentially has a nearly 1 to 1 clock ratio between the processor and its
cache scheme all based on RISC architecture. Mind you the last Alpha that
they made (I'm thinking it was around 1996?) had a primary cache of 4 meg
and a secondary of 16 meg and the pipe connecting it all was huge.

I still have an Alpha 533 and running the windows emulator still handily
outpaces my P4 3.2 ghz running windows natively. One funny example of it's
horsepower is I setup up a game of Command & Conquer with 3 AI's, started
the game and instantly got the result screen from the game. The entire game
had played out before I could even see my cursor.

Regards,

Paul Curtis
MP 120 v1.3/MP 120 v2.0/MP 130/MP 2100/MP 2100/MP 2100
www.NewtonMP.com (coming soon)
Go Green! Go White! Michigan State Spartans