Re: [NTLK] [OT] Quicktime

From: David Ensteness (denstene_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 07:41:25 PDT

> Given the choice of how to support the viewing of its radio and TV
> archives,
> QT got the boot by not being viewable in sufficient numbers to be worth
> providing. I queried the BBC about it at the time and they told me that
> while they use Macs and QT, less than 10% of their web site vistors
> downloaded the QT content - so they switched to Real only for all
> users.

I work for a public access cable TV station, we had Windows Media
content about four or five years back, then they moved to Real content
because of how much they hated WM due to encoding and quality issues.
At the time I was hired I was told one of my duties would be to move us
to QTSS from Real ... funny huh.

>>> One that does thought it was a virus that was preventing his machine
>>> from booting. (Must do the QA a bit better there...)
>
>> Guess he needs some help then.
>
> He's not getting it from Apple with this bug. He will be very wary of
> any
> Apple product in future seeing it as a "contaminant".

If he doesn't even know what it is how can he then come to the
conclusion that Apple software wrecks his PC? That is like me first
assuming that its my tires that prevent my car from starting and then
refusing to buy tires from Goodyear on that basis. Of course in this
scenario I would have have to also have no idea what tires did for my
car.

>> iTunes for one. Also, many movie trailers are initially released as
>> Quicktime only.
>
> Ah, yes, but this is QT by the back door - it rides in on the back of
> another service but not in and of itself.

You really don't understand what QuickTime is. QuickTime is not a media
player, its an API ... iTunes, Final Cut Pro and Express, and many
other products are just as much "QuickTime" as QuickTime Player is ...

>> Also it's rapidly being adopted by many of the largest cell phone
>> vendors as a multimedia delivery system.
>
> This might work because the phone guys are keen to keep MS out of their
> space for as long as possible. I wonder if Apple makes anything from
> the
> licensing of QT in this area or if it's a loss-leader to build "market
> share".

Nice way to play off an example you did not expect to get when you
claimed that QuickTime had no meaningful penetration outside of
Macintosh huh?

David