Re: [NTLK] Jobs: 'Computers have keyboards' - iPod: 'Nyaa nyaa'

From: Rod (lavo_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Apr 18 2004 - 00:04:44 PDT

On 18/4/04 1:32 PM, "Marcus Andree S. Magalhaes"
<marcus.magalhaes_at_vlinfo.com.br> wrote:

> <snip>
>
>> Anyway, why didn't anyone buy it?
>>

> People _bought_ it. Newton's market share seemed like
> today's Apple market share (around 5% of pda market
> if I recall correctly).
>
> So, it was "as successful as powermacs themselves" and
> people take this thought to the good or evil side as
> it fits.

For a pda that was streets ahead of everything else around (and at the time
there wasn't a lot), 5% doesn't seem to be a lot. And you can't compare it
to Powermac sales. It would be like comparing iPod sales to Mac sales -
they are different market segments. If Apple only had 5% of the MP3 player
market, the iPod would suffer the same fate as the Newton did.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Newtons (I have a OMP, 110, 120 1.3, 120 2.0,
130 on its way, 2000 and a 2000 Upgrade on its way). I just think sometimes
we think with our hearts rather than our heads when it comes to the Newt. I
think Steve made the wrong decision to dump the Newton (would have been
better to sell it), but in the end it was a business decision. And we
only hear that Steve made the decision. I bet he went to the Board, the
Financial Controller and others to figure out how to rescue Apple.
Obviously their core business was the Mac and that is what they needed to
focus on. Nobody has mentioned when Apple dumped the II series. Same thing
again - their core business was the Mac and continuing with the II series
was a drain on resources.

Flame me if you will, but that is my 2 cents!

Seeya

Rod!