Re: [NTLK] Direction

From: Dave Bonhoff (gtidave_at_newted.dyndns.org)
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 11:29:22 PDT

I certainly don't wish to disrespect your efforts, but for me at least,
an internal memory upgrade is not nearly as valuable as a heap increase
would be. My current configuration is an MP2000U with a 512MB CF card
in the lower slot (never removed) and the upper slot is used for
communications cards (WiFi, ethernet, modem). Needless to say, I keep
many packages frozen until I need to use them. Also, I am starting to
use VNC on my Newt over WiFi more frequently and get frustrated when it
has problems, which are usually heap related.

If it were possible, Heap would top my list of wants. A speed increase
that didn't mess up audio or communications would be a close second (I
believe that the speed increases would also speed up ethernet transfer
rates allowing me to get those big documents and MP3's onto my Newt
much faster). Third would be a stereo headphone jack, for listening to
MP3's and having my Newt read to me during my boring commutes. A
massive internal memory upgrade (in the order of 1 GB) that would allow
me to regain the use of my lower slot is below the distant fourth on my
list, a color screen (and I never imagine this happening either).

For what it is worth, I simply have never needed 2 I/O cards at the
same time, so having more internal memory isn't that important to me.
I'm sure others will have different opinions!

Now for my son's eMate, we would be interested in a substantial speed
increase (200 MHz?), followed by even more internal memory (he already
has the EM300).

All that said, If you bring out an internal vibrate function for use
with Newtendo and alarms, I'll buy it. If for no other reasons than to
support your continued efforts, and because it too would also be
cool... Like most things Newton!

Thanks!
Dave