Re: [NTLK] Direction

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 08:17:38 PDT

>From: Robert Benschop <rbenschop_at_telebyte.nl>
>Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:33:20 +0200
>
>Which calls for the following question: what I understand from the
>innards of the Newt and also explained here by David this extra memory
>will only serve as storage, won't do any good for your Heap.
>So why are we all choosing for extra memory? Understandable for an
>eMate because it has only one slot, but for the 2x00? You can ad Flash
>Memory up to 32 MB and ATA card at least up to 1 GB (!)

Of course, but just how reliable are 32MB cards? What is the total price of the ATA solution, and how reliable is it? I stopped trusting big cards, and only use them for pkgs, but never data, which I keep on a 6MB card. Nevertheless, I need the space of my 16MB card for all the pkgs, so both slots are occupied, and once I want to backup a card or use WLAN I need to free a slot... but then I possibly need the data that's on that other card, but also a pkg that is on the inserted card.
It takes much more organisation & shuffelling things around than just having 12MB internal. This would mean no more need for the 6MB card except for backup, one free slot, no card shuffle.
Having more DRAM would be cool as well, but personally I really need reliable storage that makes things easier. Fresh FLASH also means that is has seen no cycles, so it enhances the lifespan of the unit.

Oliver :)

--
"The possibilities are endless. I love that."  - Jonathan Ive