Re: [NTLK] [OT] Virus attacks on NTLK/Newton-related mailaccounts

From: Eric Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 15:08:20 PDT

Besides, market share is an absolutely meaningless number. You write
software for the installed base, not the market share. Last count I
recall, Mac market share (all OS's) was somewhere between 7-10%. And
when you're counting OS X, you probably need to count at least some
other variants of BSD. Plus, since it's more rare and difficult to do,
there's the challenge factor to consider. Finally, given that at least
some gov't. organizations have tired of the whole MS patch du'jour,
some of the prime targets may end up running Mac OS X. So don't count
us out yet! ;-)

On Friday, April 16, 2004, at 02:32 PM, Martin Joseph wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2004, at 10:48 AM, Joel M. Sciamma wrote:
>>
>> I see that Apple's market share is now down to 2.5% and take-up of Mac
>> OS X
>> is just 40% of the installed base - what self-respecting virus creator
>> is
>> going to bother having an impact on so few? ;-)
>>
> This is a dangerously wrong attitude:
>
> http://www.caida.org/analysis/security/witty/
>
> All platforms are potential targets although using "obsolete kit"
> (macOS (preX))) is pretty safe :~)

- Eric.

*I'd* rather wear fur than go naked!