Re: [NTLK] [OT] Virus attacks on NTLK/Newton-related mailaccounts

From: David Ensteness (denstene_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 12:51:55 PDT

Accuracy my friend ...

Worms are called worms because of what they do. Viruses are social
engineering attacks, worms travel in an automated fashion of some sort
or another.

Perhaps the biggest security difference between UNIX based systems and
Windows based systems is Root access.

A worm can be uploaded to a Windows XP Professional system via Windows
Update from another infected Windows XP system, the application can
execute itself and make changes to ANY system or user data/resources it
wants to.

On a UNIX based system you would have to authorize the worm to install
itself, then you have to authorize it to change essential files. Also,
even as an administrator user there are some necessary system resources
you can not change because you do not have Root access, therefore even
if you had the exact same thing happen on a UNIX system as I described
above happening to a Windows XP system and you authorized the worm to
run, it could still only hit areas you had access too, which are far
less on a UNIX system than on a Windows system [unless you always work
as Root ... which is well, foolish for this exact reason].

You are correct that a user is the weakest link in the chain, but UNIX
does restrict the ability of the user to harm the system *more* than
Windows does in fundamental and effective ways.

David