Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V4 #204

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 12:39:16 PDT

Goodwin, Greg wrote:

> Another Atari owner in the group. Who knew. :) Yeh I liked the Atari
> Portfolio enough, but just not a Newton. Sold it for a nice price, and
> it was fun rebuilding it and making it work again.

Owner yes, but I've never actually used it for more than 10 minutes at a time.

>>However the pride and joy is my NEC Ultralite:
>>http://www.chuma.org/ultralite/
>
> Ok, I'll bite... what has you so in love with this?

I believe it was the first notebook computer that was only one inch thick.

It has an excellent, great-feeling full-size keyboard. Many reporters and
writers who were using Tandy 100s and 102s ditched them for the Ultralite
because of the keyboard.

It has lots of cool features, like a RAM disk instead of a hard disk, memory
cards, DOS and LapLink in ROM, integrated 2400bps modem... for 1988 it was
quite an amazing machine. And a 2 hour battery life! :)

Also, they seem to be very rare now. My page is virtually the only site left
with information on them. But I digress...

(sublimininininalmessagepostdescriptionstounna)