[NTLK] data rover, was Re: It was a gift. I'm sorry....

From: Pedro Hobbyfrazoo (pjfraser_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 21:02:28 PDT

i got one of those datarovers as well. they are quite clever - it's
sorta cartoonish in some ways, and by golly the Newt is far more
sophisticated even when you don't count the HWR, but nonetheless, it's
really pretty special.

in a lot of ways it's more maclike than the newton. very graphical in
its interface.

i wish it came with some games. i'm not going to ever put my data into
it, so it would be fun to use it for something. oh, well.

if anybody pursues the email loading of software onto these things,
please share the results.

heck for $45, brand new, i couldn't resist!

On Apr 6, 2004, at 5:01 PM, Vaguely Radio wrote:

> I've got a 200LX - got pretty fast at typing on the little
> "Chiclet-style" keyboard, and it's cool running DOS on a screen that
> tiny. Still gotta say I love my Newton more. Closing fast in the race
> of the old PDAs is the DataRover 840 running Magic Cap that I just
> acquired, which is neck-and-neck with the Newton in the "most fun"
> category. The Newton definitely edges it out in utility however -
> haven't even managed to install any packages on the DataRover yet since
> I can only install them via e-mail (the connection cables are rare and
> mine didn't come with one), though the built-in suite of apps ain't bad
> (the datebook especially is really nice). Once I'm able to install
> stuff - well, the Newton will still hold a place far above it because
> there's virtually no software available for the platform anyway.
>
> -Dan

-- Peter
pjfraser_at_alamedanet.net