Re: [NTLK] Newton Battery Meter & 802.11

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 15:55:31 PST

Michael Manzano wrote:
>Exactly how accurate is the Newton's battery meter when using a network
>card like the Lucent Turbo Silver? Whenever I am online my meter drops to
>below 50% and when I disconnect it goes back up to 90% or so.
     Ethernet cards and modems draw a lot of power. Some pull about four
times what the Newton does when the card isn't in use. This pulls down
the available voltage in the battery quite quickly. At a certain voltage,
the Newton will know it can't operate and will shut down. The guage gives
you a fairly good idea of what's left under the current load. If it drops
much below 15% the Newton will likely shut down. It jumps back up because
the battery can 'recover' from the load that was placed on it by the card
you were using.

Hope this helps,
Peter