Re: [NTLK] Installing packages via IR?

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 10:18:04 PDT

Laurent Daudelin <laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net> wrote:

> on 20/09/03 23:17, David W Aquilina at dwa2_at_acsu.buffalo.edu wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I've just been given an OMP running NOS 1.3, and I'm struggling to
get
>> anything transferred between my Mac and the Newton. Right now I
don't have
>> any serial ports - I only have the IR port on my G3 PowerBook

(*snip*)

Hmmm ... doesn't the G3 PowerBook have a serial port? What model are
we talking here?

>> Newton Connection seems to indicate that it can transfer stuff over
IR,
>> however I can't figure out what it wants me to do when it tells me
>> "Open a connection from the Newton".

It wants you to do the following:

     (1) Click the Extras icon on the screen
     (2) Click the Connection icon
     (3) In the window that shows up when you do step 2, click the
Connect
     button

> Yes, get a serial cable. IR doesn't work by default for the Newton.
There
> was a tool that would let you do it, but I think you have to install
some
> package on your Newton, which is ruled out. Plus, I'm not sure the
software
> supports Newton running NOS 1.3. Your only hope is to get a serial
cable,
> plus a keyspan USB to serial adapter...

If you find you do have a serial cable and your PowerBook does have a
printer port, you're in business; otherwise, Laurent's suggestion
above should do the trick. My 2nd Newton was a 120, and I used a
Keyspan adapter, Newton Connection 2.0 and a serial cable to connect
to my Blueberry iBook (I so need an upgrade .....).

> -Laurent.

--gdw

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html