Re: [NTLK] Copying NIE pkgs to Card & new FAQ dad

From: Grant Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 16:10:59 PDT

In a previous message, Robert Benschop typed vigorously:

>> But since I haven't been following the previous thread very closely,
>
>Shame on you ;-)

That's what happens when you've already got Ethernet driver installed.

>> can someone please summarize exactly what the solution is? And what
>> would be the appropriate questions to be added to the FAQ?
>
>I'll try. If I remember right the question was how to get all Ethernet
>drivers transferred from one Newt to another.

There are two versions of this question it seems. One asks how to get
packages onto a Newton without a serial connection, and the other
question related to the solution to the first problem - how to transfer
packages Newt to Newt (N2N).

>First in the FAQ should be EEUnprotect, we get too many questions
>relating to this great piece of software (thanks Victor) anyway.

Right. We need a question asking how to unprotect a protected package. Or
a question relating to the error message when attempting to do so. Can
anyone verify what the actual error message is when you try to copy/move
a protected package? What are some common protected packages as a
reference point?

>It wasn't mentioned a lot but I think second should be beaming as a
>solution, only work if the Newts are in the same room of course.

Got it.

>Third was the option of transferring it with a card WITHOUT the
>original Newt loosing Ethernet capability. Solution was a partial
>backup, choosing only Ethernet related packages and restoring on the
>other Newt.

Ok.

>I think that sort of sums it up, but corrections/additions are always
>welcome of course.

Thanks Robert. That helps a lot.

g.

Grant Hutchinson } Interface Considerations & Toys

Weblog } www.splorp.com
Newton } www.newted.org
Design } www.veer.com

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html