Re: [NTLK] PC Cards

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 19:09:32 PDT

on 17/09/03 20:58, Peter Jaros at rjaros_at_shaysnet.com wrote:

> Newton PCMCIA storage cards are compatible with regular old laptop
> PCMCIA slots, right? Is it possible to write a driver to read "Newton
> format"? One could put a card in one's laptop, install packages, then
> bring the card over to the Newt.

Yes, in theory, it can be done. Nobody has done it so far, though. I know
that Paul Guyot and cie are working on interesting things (at least, I think
they were), like the ability to access the information in the Newton from
the computer. That is getting close to being able to read those cards in a
laptop. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Paul ;-)

-Laurent.

benchmark n.: [techspeak] An inaccurate measure of computer performance. "In
the computer industry, there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and
benchmarks." Well-known ones include Whetstone, Dhrystone, Rhealstone (see
h), the Gabriel LISP benchmarks (see gabriel), the SPECmark suite, and
LINPACK. See also machoflops, MIPS, smoke and mirrors.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html