Re: [NTLK] Downloading from UNNA

From: Peter Jaros (rjaros_at_shaysnet.com)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 13:17:17 PDT

On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 07:48 AM, Michael Blazer wrote:

> on 16/9/03 6:43 PM, Edward Humes at ehumes_at_mac.com wrote:
>
>> Is there a new method for downloading pkg files from unna? It used to
>> be a simple click of the link to download. Now my browser (safari) is
>> opening the pkg files (and, of course, displaying gibberish).
>
> I've started seeing this too with both Safari and IE Mac. However,
> using
> "download link to disk" or equivalent still works OK. (Right click or
> control-click to get contextual menu containing this command.) I end
> up
> with a .pkg file that has the wrong icon (OS X package instead of
> Newton
> package) but works fine even without running it through Packager. I
> don't
> understand why any of this happens, but I'm sure someone will explain.

Or Opt-Click to download immediately. BTW, I haven't gotten PackType
to work (who knows why), but FinderPop works well:

http://www.finderpop.com/

It's only for OS 8/9, however. It's a major contextual menu enhancer
which makes life incredibly easy. One feature is "Set File Type",
which allows you to copy creator and file types from a dummy file in a
folder in the System Folder to any files. Just select them all,
control-click, select a custom "Newton Package" option, and there you
go!

Of course, Packager and PackType work fine. If you're not me. *shrug*

Peter

---
There's no place I can be
	Since I found Serenity