Re: [NTLK] Copying NIE pkgs to Card

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 07:26:12 PDT

Michael Sciascia wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am trying to put in a card the NIE pkgs and some ethernet dirvers for
> a fellow newtonian, but I have got some problems...
>
> When I try to install these packages I get the following errors:
> 1. enetsup.pkg
> “The package “NIE Ethernet Module” was not installed because a package
> by the same name is already installed on the store “internal”

Well, that's because each package on your Newton must have a unique name.
When you try to activate (install) a package with a duplicate name, the
Newton just can't do it.

> After reading one of the post resulting from my research I installed
> “EEunprotect”.

This will let you move around packages that have been flagged as
"copy-protected" by the developer.

> Now I can file the packages from my internal store to the card, but this
> moves them instead of copying them.
>
> A dumb question... how can they be “copied” to the card instead?

There's no way. It's important to understand how package loading works on
the Newton. When a package is installed from your desktop to your Newton, it
isn't simply copied as-is: the OS "relocates" it to the Newton. This means
assigning some memory pointers within the package which have holder values to
actual values.

When you want to export a package off of your Newton (by beaming, PkgBuddy,
Sloup, etc) the package must be "unrelocated" back to its original form.
There's no standard way to do this though, so sometimes the unrelocation will
fail or not be possible for a certain package.

> Selecting them I can only see the info, beam them, delete and file them
> to card or another folder :-/
>
> If I simply file the packages to the card, afterwards I won’t be able to
> use anymore my wireless connection :-(
>
> I also have a Performa and a Serial Cable with Dongle, but when I try to
> connect NCU to the Newton I get an error about Printer port already in
> use. This is strange because I made inactive all the extensions about
> printers and left only the minimum setup to let 8.6 work and last time I
> needed it (long time ago) it worked :-/
>
> After my tries the only way seems to beam directly packages to the other
> newton :-/
>
> It seems like these packages don’t want to be copied :-)

You're right: NIE is a very complex package and

And as for fixing the type/creator codes for Newton packages, this page from
UNNA has links to the tools as well as info for handling Newton packages
downloaded from the net:

http://www.unna.org/mac.shtml

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html