Re: [NTLK] New Newton Design WAS What Benshop is doing

From: Jim Siburt (jsiburt_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 20:12:52 PDT

On Thursday, September 11, 2003, at 09:55 PM, Daniel Parnell wrote:

> G'day All,
>
> I've been toying around with writing an emulator for the Newton
> hardware.
> I've extracted the ROM from my Newton and downloaded a couple of ARM
> simulators, but other than that I havn't had much time to really do
> anything else with it.
> If I could get some info about the hardware I might have a bit more
> luck with the whole process.
> What I would really like to be able to do is replace the WinCE OS in
> my PocketPC with Newton OS ;)

It seems that that the ARM processor based handhelds are more
adaptable. They current ones would the iPAQ and and the Sharp Zaurus. I
own the Zaurus and it might be a viable device as some people are
actually starting to port cocoa apps to it using a form of OS X.

It would be interesting to see if the Newton OS could run on top of the
Open Zaurus ROM. hmmmm

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html