Re: [NTLK] Spam - Penis growing!!!

From: Andrei Chichak (acpmiedm_at_telusplanet.net)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 15:41:44 PDT

Ah SPAM (wonderful SPAM, everybody sing!!! spamity spam wonderful spam...)

Here is what I have been spouting for years, with modifications.

1) Don't use outlook. There are certain web pages that will trigger outlook
to send a mail message on your behalf to the spamlords without you hitting
send or knowing that it has been sent. High quality stuff, high value email
addresses.

2) Don't put your email address on a webpage. It is trivial to write a web
walker, or a brute force IP address web parser that goes out looking for
email addresses. Death to the IT droid who posted everybody's email address
on a web page to do people a favor. Moderate quality, there is a lot of
dead email addresses out there on webpages.

4 (three sir) ) Don't use outlook. Email viruses that send out crap to all
of the people in your address book are typically targetting outlook people.

4) Don't post stuff to the usenet. The news group files get 'grep'ed for
email on many servers. Moderate quality stuff.

5) Don't use outlook (or eudora for that matter). Here's the scam, I send
you a mail message hawking my wears. I embed into the message a link to a
unique file (like a graphic) on my server that will be downloaded to your
machine when you view the message. I now know that you (since I sent the
message to you with a unique file name) exist (since you came and picked up
the file). Turn off message preview, if you open the message you're hooped
though. Very high quality email address.

6) Make sure that an email list owner does not post the messages on some
really convenient web page. See #2. List archives should be wrapped in a
cgi script, or something like that, so that robots don't parse the archives
and pick up the list member's addresses.

The quality of the email addresses is important. Writing a robot to rummage
through garbage web pages looking for email addresses gets a lot of junk.
Selling email lists with junk doesn't get you a lot of money. Figuring out
a way to verify that the email accounts are active adds value.

Andrei

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html