Re: [NTLK] PC slot on 2x00 no longer working

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2003 - 21:14:15 PDT

Well, I pushed in both pins that where misplaced and
soldered them to their neighbor, reassembled the Newt
and fired it up...unfortunatly that didn't solve the
problem. The bottom slot works but the upper
doesn't...This Newt is relegated to the parts shelf.
That's really unfortunate in that I've had this Newt
since new...this is the one I paid $1000 for. I hate
to just, you know...let it sit on a shelf...
Yeah, I know I can swap mother boards...but it
wouldn't be the same! Besides...my backup Newt is
giving me this weird error every once in a while and
taking forever to do stuff...the error is something
like the internal memory store is corrupt or full or
something like that...it doesn't say that all the
time, but it doesn't bode well for a long term
solution...I guess I need to take a trip to
JKSales...I hear they have nice ones for about $150...
Ed
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167 (not any more)

--- Brian Parker <bunnyboy_at_sealiecomputing.com> wrote:
> I don't think the pin of the slot that DOES NOT work
> is actually
> touching that via (pad with hole for connecting
> layers in the board).
> The via is connected to both the broken pin and the
> one right next to
> it. They both look like they are part of a ground
> plane. Info on the
> pc card spec would confirm this. If it were making
> good contact with
> that via then the slot should work.
>
> The broken pin on the slot that DOES work looks like
> it is touching a
> test point (labelled TP on the board). When the
> Newton is turned on
> the test point may be ground, close enough to
> ground, or ground often
> enough for the card to work. Amazing that it hit
> that pad, since there
> is a corner it has to go around.
>
> To make the soldering easier, you could just connect
> the two pins
> together instead of trying to solder to the original
> pad. Make sure
> the pin is still straight tho. They are longer so
> the card gets
> grounded while inserting before the rest of the pins
> touch so there
> aren't any bad shocks sent to the unsuspecting Newt.
>
> Those are very nice pictures of tiny stuff.
> Expensive digital camera?
> :)
>

> Brian Parker
> Sealie Computing
> bunnyboy_at_sealiecomputing.com
>
> NewtGlider - www.sealiecomputing.com/NewtGlider
> MathFaster - www.sealiecomputing.com/MathFaster
> Napalm - www.sealiecomputing.com/Napalm

=====
"When any government, or church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, 'This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know', the end result is tyranny and oppression , no matter how holy the motives"
     -Robert Heinlein, Revolt in 2100