Re: [NTLK] PC slot on 2x00 no longer working

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 09:08:01 PDT

Thanks for the information. I'll attempt the repair
later on tonight. Soldering with magnifying goggles is
a real pain so I may just take your advice and just
bridge the two pins.
I suspected that this pin may be ground because it
seemed longer than the others. I attempted to trace
the circuit, but multi-layered boards are difficult to
trace.
As for the camera, it's Nikon 2500. What makes this
so good is it's a low profile camera with a swiveling
lens. This lets me get right up on a subject and still
see what it looks like before I snap the picture. This
was one of the requirements I had on a replacement
digital camera.
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain...although now serving temporary duty as my
daily newt)

--- Brian Parker <bunnyboy_at_sealiecomputing.com> wrote:
> I don't think the pin of the slot that DOES NOT work
> is actually
> touching that via (pad with hole for connecting
> layers in the board).
> The via is connected to both the broken pin and the
> one right next to
> it. They both look like they are part of a ground
> plane. Info on the
> pc card spec would confirm this. If it were making
> good contact with
> that via then the slot should work.
>
> The broken pin on the slot that DOES work looks like
> it is touching a
> test point (labelled TP on the board). When the
> Newton is turned on
> the test point may be ground, close enough to
> ground, or ground often
> enough for the card to work. Amazing that it hit
> that pad, since there
> is a corner it has to go around.
>
> To make the soldering easier, you could just connect
> the two pins
> together instead of trying to solder to the original
> pad. Make sure
> the pin is still straight tho. They are longer so
> the card gets
> grounded while inserting before the rest of the pins
> touch so there
> aren't any bad shocks sent to the unsuspecting Newt.
>
> Those are very nice pictures of tiny stuff.
> Expensive digital camera?
> :)
>

> Brian Parker
> Sealie Computing
> bunnyboy_at_sealiecomputing.com
>
> NewtGlider - www.sealiecomputing.com/NewtGlider
> MathFaster - www.sealiecomputing.com/MathFaster
> Napalm - www.sealiecomputing.com/Napalm

=====
"When any government, or church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, 'This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know', the end result is tyranny and oppression , no matter how holy the motives"
     -Robert Heinlein, Revolt in 2100