[NTLK] Scripting Applications

From: Sarfaraz Dawoodi (sarfaraz.dawoodi_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 23:24:08 PDT

Further to my recent post on PowerTrans, I have a question...

Are Newton applications "scriptable" like apps on MacOS?

Let me explain: Thanks to the great guys on this list, I now I have
PowerTrans running in Spanish. PT has a mode for learning vocabulary.
It's a bit like a flashcard program so it presents you with a word and
you write the translation, then it tells you got it right (or more
often, wrong!) The problem is, you have to choose by hand the words you
want to learn. With 72000 words in its dictionary, this is a little
tedious. You can't just select all the words as it uses too much
storage. What I would like is to randomly choose a certain number of
words. It occurred to me that if something like Applescript was on the
Newt, I might be able to do it myself.

I don't hold out much hope from the developer as they seem to have
disappeared (although they still seem to take money for the software!)

Just a shot in the dark...

Sarfaraz

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html