Re: [NTLK] Recovered eMate Battery Pack

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 15:03:40 PDT

<snip>

> Out of interest (I'm an electronics engineer by trade)
> I thought I'd just check what state the individual cells
> were in

<snip>

Wow...

I'm impressed. Amazing how much effort you put into this,
congratulations.

In my experience, though, what you did only makes sense
if the eMate is used and charged
on a regular basis. The reason for cells to discharge very
fast to 0 Volt is often that the crystals inside have
to a certain degree created a short inside the cell. The
cell will work fine if you use and charge it daily, but
it will discharge very fast if you leave it alone.
In your case it made much sense since you had trouble finding
cells with soldering lugs. But if you can get them, in my
opinion it isn't worth the effort trying to resurrect the
existing cells. Even those that appear to be ok are most
likely not in top notch condition anymore, and since the
pack is open anyway...

Cheers

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de