Re: [NTLK] Card lending service

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 16:05:05 PDT

Victor wrote:

>Since we're not talking about hubs :) I will volunteer to be an East
Coast
>and/or Canadian hub. I already have an old 2MB card that I could use
for
>this, and I may be able to get another. As well as a 128KB SRAM card.

Excellent.

> PS: if people would like to undertake the rescue-card idea as a
"special
> project" then I can create a separate mailing list for it (similar to
what I
> did when we were figuring out the t-shirt thing).

Not sure this will be necessary. Since this is to be decided between the
donors (donators?) of the fund raising, I don't think it will cause
enough
list traffic henceforth to make this necessary. And since two people
have
already volunteered to act as "hubs", it might even be better if this
stays
on the list just in case someone else feels like participating.

>> Most of you are probably aware that I don't make (nearly) any money
with
>> the services I provide, but would all of you out there consider it
prudent
>> if I put a PayPal link to the NewtonTalk account on this page? Or
would
>> that look too much like begging? Victor, since NewtonTalk is
physically
>> your baby, would you think that's ok?

> Sorry, I seem to have lost the train of thought here. What page are
we
> talking about here?

I am planning to add a page to my web site that describes the problem,
the
possible solutions (Ser001 etc.) along with the info about the existance
of the service, how it would work, how payment would be done, how much
the interested person would need to pay up front and how much he'd get
back once the card is back where it belongs etc.
I was wondering if it was ok by you, Victor, (and considered prudent
by the rest of the community) to put a PayPal link on this page that
allows donations for NewtonTalk, or if that would look too much like
cheap begging.

Cheers

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de