Re: [NTLK] Ne(w)tworking assistance - I have checked the FAQ!!!!

From: Len Cole (leonard.cole_at_verizon.net)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 15:25:06 PDT

Yes, a cable-DSL router is what you need, and since the iMac is already directly connected to the cabel modem, just get a wired as opposed to a wireless router. They're less expensive unless you already have all of the wireless adapters for your MP and iMac.

I got my LinkSys BEFSR41 4-port cable-DSL router a year ago for $49, and a month later it went down to $42. It's probably less now since the wireless version of it is selling for around the same amount these days. There are other brands besides LinkSys which will work with Macs.

As an added benefit, you can probably get your Newton and iMac to communicate (TCP/IP) with one another through the network on the local side of the router. I have up to four Macs hooked up to mine, though I only use one to access the net. Works like a charm. I'm glad I got it.