[NTLK] Screen appearance question

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 17:15:42 PDT

I recently purchased a "mint" screen from GEM for my MP2000U, which was
purchased the first day they came out. I still haven't found a complete
functional replacement for the Newt, so I decided it was time to refurbish
it.

Everything went well, (thanks to pda-soft.de) but when I turn on the Newt
there is a "halo" effect. What I mean by this is that the brightness is good
but there is a border about 1/4" (6 mm) around the screen edge where the
backlight appears noticeably dimmer.

Does anyone know if this is indicative of:
1) defective backlight?
2) improper install (pinched wire?)
3) any other comments.

Digitizer works perfectly

I have compared it to my son's MP2100 and verified the appearance.
(parenthetically have to add I did resist the temptation to swap screens, as
I don't really know the cause and I'm a good dad).

Actually to GEM's credit, the screen was sent still installed in a mint
empty MP2000 case, so I got a front and back case, pen retention mechanism,
and power switch to boot. I would hope that in 5-6 years I will finally be
able to retire it, once and for all.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html