Re: [NTLK] Courier Help!!!

From: Rolf Brakvatne (rbrak29_at_qwest.net)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 08:35:18 PDT

Thomas,

I am a little confused. You said you have a hub, or do you mean the
card connector itself?

If it is connected directly to your cable modem, you may still have the
hub/switch type problem, depending on what type of cable modem and how
it's wired inside. I think most cable modems are also routers (very
smart switches). Problem could be in how your cable modem is setup (I
have never setup one).

I have a Cisco 678 DSL modem connected directly to a Netgear Wireless
router. Off one of the router's four local ports, I have a Netgear
switch out to my home network. I have an ethernet plug in my dining
room at which I connect my Newt (wired connection). Had the same setup
a few months ago except I had hubs instead of switches and I could
always connect my Newt. After I went to switches, the connection failed
most of the time (see other email). Placing a hub in between my Newt
and the switch, fixed the connection failure. Just use wireless now.

I am not an expert in networks.. it's not my vocation. My system works
by trial and error.. seat of my pants, but it works with both PC's
(@#$! MSBlaster) and Macs on my network.

RB

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html