[NTLK] Newtway Stowaway keyboard connector

From: Doug Parker (doug_at_ispinn.com)
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 23:48:29 PST

Announcing the Newtway connector!

The Newtway connector attaches your Newt to a Palm III Stowaway keyboard
using a serial cable. Using the Newtway, you don't have to carry around a
special cable just for the Stowaway. Just grab the Newtway and any serial
cable that's already handy and you've got your connection. Download Daniel
Padilla's Stowaway driver to your Extras drawer and you're typing away on a
*quiet* keyboard that folds smaller than your Newt.

The Newtway works with one caution. I've noticed slightly different versions
of the Stowaway keyboard's connector. The male connector on some of the
keyboards have a thin plastic flange on its connector that interferes with
the Newtway and has to be trimmed down before using it.

I found this out when I tried mounting the connector for the first time and
snapped off the flanges. After the plastic snapped off, I haven't had any
troubles connecting up, and the broken flange doesn't have any effect on the
keyboard usage. I'll surely put either some illustrations or pictures online
to explain the different keyboard connector designs and necessary
modifications in the near future. It's not a show stopper by any means, but
I did think it necessary to mention.

A second keyboard with a slightly different connector required no
modifications.

The Newtway is assembled from pre-manufactured parts. Pictures are available
at

   www.ispinn.com/Newtway

Price for the Newtway is $24 plus shipping. My paypal account is
doug_at_ispinn.com. Please check with me first before wiring funds.

I'll be making 20 Newtways in my first production run. Beyond that, I'd like
to find out how much interest there is in the Newtway, since I order parts
in lots of 100. Email me offline at doug_at_ispinn.com.

Where do you find the Palm III Stowaway keyboards? I bought mine on eBay,
where else!

Doug Parker

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html