[NTLK] [Bowels] Events and NewtWorld

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 23:35:44 PST

Hi all,

I've just posted a new technote to the Bowels project. It is entitled
"Events and NewtWorld" and it can be found here:
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/bowels/

This technote explains how to use events to communicate with the
NewtWorld task (where NewtonScript code is executed). It comes with
sample code that works on both NewtonOS 2.0 and 2.1 thanks to the
workaround I developed for ATA Support 1.0RC6.1 (a kind of proxy
making the thing as transparent as possible). The difference in the
runtime architecture between NewtonOS 2.0 and 2.1 is documented (I
think this difference comes from a compiler update, the 2.1
architecture is much more efficient and Apple, since no one had
access to the event handler headers then, probably decided to change
the architecture as it would not break any third party software).

As usual, comments are highly appreciated. I know this technote isn't
as complete as it could be, but it describes in details a technique
that does work and is used in my own software. More investigations
should be done, especially for replies to events and completion
routines.

If you have any question, if I failed to explain some subtleties
properly, feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/