[NTLK] Mad Newton ate my storage card: a plea for help.

From: Matthew Reidsma (matthew_at_reidsrow.com)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 10:43:10 PST

So in searching for a good portable MP3 player I discovered a few
things:

1) I cannot afford an iPod.
2) All I really want is an iPod.
3) I cannot afford an iPod.

So I decided to try out the Newton MP3 combo. I know the audio will
suck compared to the iPod, but with bus engines and horns honking
constantly in my ear, I'm not exactly looking for HiFi here...

To test things out I loaded MadNewton onto my 2100, which already had
the newest version of NHTTPLib on it. I saved MN to my 4Mb ATA card (a
tester until I can prove this will work and I can scrounge the bucks
for Paul's driver and use my 128Mb CF card) and it opened up fine. The
only problem was that I didn't have an MP3 to try. Before fussing with
the MP3 streams via my WiFi connection, I decided to download the
sample package MP3 that Daniel Padilla created for testing purposes.

Oh how I wished I had not done that.

I received an error stating that there was a problem with Daniel
Package, and it could not be activated. I assumed that it was a problem
with the Newt, restarted and tried to reload the package. I got the
same error.

The problem is that the packages appear to be still on the CF card: I
only have about 100K left, whereas once MN was loaded, I still had
around 2Mb free. I've been scouring with SBM utilities and I cannot
find the entry anywhere: it is not in the packages soup for the card,
and doesn't show up with an icon. How can I retrieve my 2Mbs without
resorting to wiping the card? Any help will be appreciated.

-Matthew

BTW, I tried deleting MadNewton and the MP3 Codec, and wiping out the
prefs with Prefs cleaner and using SBM to erradicate any other trace of
these packages.I still have no room.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html