Re: [NTLK] TCP/IP

From: Jason Bunston (jbunston_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 16:29:04 PST

Hey - generally people just END up not doing work....they don't set out to
become like that.

I'm always fixing problems on our PCs due to the errant browsing habits of
our users. We have a total group of 1200+ on a domain of 11'000. My group is
about 400 PCs.

When people don't have internet access (proxy access, actually), they do
more work. When they DO have access we frequently need to clean out shit
that was auto-installed via some stupid ActiveX tool they found online. Take
your pick:

Date Manager
Time manager
Calendar manager
Atomic Clock
Gator eWallet
Hotbar
And so on...

As for the MSN Messenger application - you _can_ infect a machine with MSN
messenger AND bypass the proxy and gateway scanners. It's rare but does
happen if your corporate IT group isn't using certain tools to block or
watch network traffic. Don't forget your system patches, and the fact that
MSN messenger will be a for-pay service soon. Blah blah blah you get the
idea.

I say boot everything over to MacOS X ;)

jb

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html