Re: [NTLK] OT - Off Topic - Need an eBay auction to bid on

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 15:19:42 PDT

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 11:17:02PM +0200, Frank Gruendel wrote:
> Although the source code of this html mail looks innocent enough,
> I'm not going to type my password into a form of which I don't know
> it was really sent from eBay. I am able to log in and bid at the German
> eBay just fine, and I can log in at eBay.com just fine, too. I am,
> however, using their standard login page and not the form in
> the mail I was sent.
>
> I sent eBay a mail twice asking if this has really come from
> them, and, true to form, they haven't answered nor even acknowledged
> they received my mail. I wonder what these people charge so much money
> for.

It's a "phishing expedition" email.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-spoof.html

The section at the bottom discusses where to forward the email to get
some action on it.

--
5. The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the
   Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of